Yesterday, we were blessed with some fantastic weather and we managed to extract all the honey we intended to do. The honey is, as it was last year, deliciously flavorful! As the honey temperature was lower, it was not as easy getting it out of the comb as it would be in the mid-summer at 30oC. So some of the honey went back to the bees, which is not a bad thing
Since the plan to pass the honey through a strainer, as it was getting out of the extractor, didn't work quite well, most of the honey will need to be separated from the wax debris by waiting a week or two for the wax to float up to the top of the honey to be removed. The future of the remaining honey will be decided at the next MAA meeting.
In the heat of the battle to get that last drop of the honey the extractor broke two of it's legs, so those will need to be repaired.
The extraction lasted the whole day as we started preparations at around 9am and finished with the clean-up at around 7pm. The main thing preventing us to work faster was small capacity of our extractor (taking two frames at a time). Getting a bigger extractor might be a thing to think about.
So much for now. Thanks to all who were there to help with the extraction!